‘Ballet is coming to Box Hill’.
This was the notice proudly displayed in the Box Hill Junior Library in 1951 and the beginning of a ballet school in Box Hill that is still going strong today.
In April 1951, at a meeting at the Box Hill Town Hall, the plans for a ballet school for Box Hill were outlined. The first meeting of the Box Hill City Ballet Group was held on 11th May with over 100 people in attendance. 96 members enrolled that night and one month later classes commenced.
By 1952 students numbered 200 with a waiting list for those who couldn’t be accommodated. Eventually classes moved to the West Hall of the Box Hill Town Hall being a larger venue, in addition to the Junior Library.
Today, over 60 years later, we are the Box Hill Ballet Association Inc. and our ‘home’ is ‘The Studio’ on Whitehorse Road. Other classes are also held at the Box Hill Community Arts Centre and other local venues when required.
The Association prides itself on its wonderful history and association and support from the Whitehorse City Council.